Facial steaming has been an important part of skincare rituals. Have you ever noticed that this step is also a part of facials that people get done at spas. The reason is- it is the simplest way to rejuvenate dull skin and open up the pores for cleansing and better absorption of other skincare products. The key here lies in doing it the right way.
I have been doing facial steams every winters with my mom since a really long time and I recently got to know that Ayurveda also considers facial steaming as an integral part of beauty rituals. Face steaming is a part of an Ayurvedic therapy called ‘Swedana’, that helps to remove toxins from the skin and deeply cleanses the pores.
Benefits of steaming your face!
- promotes blood circulation on face which enhances glow
- helps to clear clogged pores
- removes blocked sebum
- helps with better absorption of other skincare products
- hydrates the skin
- great for people with oily acne prone skin
- a calming ritual
The right way to do facial steaming.
You can easily incorporate steaming your face in your routine at home without any professional equipments.
- Choose the herbs you want to add in your steam.
- Place a large bowl full of hot water with the herbs on a table and cover the bowl for 2-3 minutes.
- Cleanse your face with an exfoliating cleanser.
- Seat yourself on a chair and cover your head with a towel over the bowl (7-8 inches above the bowl)
- Steam for not more than 5 minutes.
- Once done, wash your face with lukewarm water and apply a hydrating face mask (a simple raw honey face mask will do)
- Wash it off, tone and moisturize.
Few points to keep in mind to get the benefits of facial steaming.
- Do not steam for more than 5 minutes.
- Only do this once a week.
- Keep your hair away from your face using a headband.
People who have inflamed skin, psoriasis, eczema, active stages of acne, rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis should not try it.
DIY Herbal Facial Steam Recipes.
- DIY Facial Steam for dry skin
Add 1 teaspoon each of Rose Petals, Lavender Buds, Chamomile, Fennel Seeds and hibiscus petals. This one is great for mature skin too.
- DIY Facial Steam for Oily acne prone skin
Add 1 tablespoon of Rosemary, few fresh tulsi leaves, 1 tablespoon green tea and 1/4th cinnamon stick.
You can try this Herbs Pack [Herbs for Hair Rinse, Facial Steaming, Oil Infusion & Herbal Teas] to experiment with herbs.
Picture by @oh_she_shines