Moringa- a humble tree which is now recognized as a western world superfood. However, if we think about it- Moringa has forever been a part of our Indian food & ayurveda. Each part of this tree- leaves, pods, bark has medicinal benefits. In addition to health, they can be extremely effective ingredients for our skin and haircare as well.
I recently did a hair growth challenge where I used Moringa Oil for a month for haircare in different combinations for hair masks and hair oils along with Moringa Leaves Powder and easily available kitchen ingredients. After being consistent for a month with Moringa Oil for my haircare, I did observe baby hair growing on my forehead along with hair staying super hydrated & healthy.
After using Moringa Oil for quite a while, I am compiling this blog post on Moringa Oil for haircare which can be helpful for you all.
Benefits of Moringa Oil for hair:
- the oleic acid in moringa oil helps to strengthen the hair and retain moisture
- it’s antibacterial properties can help keep dandruff and/or dry scalp away as well
- Moringa has one of the highest naturally occurring levels of behenic acid, a common ingredient in hair conditioners which implies that it will also help in hair softening
How to use Moringa Oil for Hair Care:
Use it as a hair oil, add it to your hair masks or use as a leave in serum for dry and rough hair.
DIY Hair Care using Moringa Oil
- Scalp Massage (Champi) with Moringa Oil: To use Moringa Oil for scalp massage either just use warm Moringa Oil or infuse it with some other ingredients. I chose fresh Curry Patta/Curry Leaves for infusion. Thanks to its antibacterial, antifungal and cleansing properties, curry leaves benefits the scalp, help promote healthy hair growth and prevent premature greying of hair. You can also choose to infuse grated ginger/fenugreek seeds/hibiscus etc.To infuse, in a double boiling setup- add 5-6 tablespoons of Moringa Oil with 1 tablespoon of any crushed ingredient that you choose. Let the oil heat for 15 minutes, take it off heat and let it infuse for few hours before sieving and using. Massage this concoction on your scalp properly. Apply it on your hair from roots to ends. Keep it for a few hours and later wash your hair as usual.
- DIY Onion & Moringa Hair Mask: To make this hair mask, I used Moringa Powder and activated it with Onion juice instead of normal water. When added to the hair and scalp, onion juice can provide extra sulfur to support strong and thick hair, thus preventing hair loss and promoting hair growth.
Mix together-– 1 tablespoon Moringa Powder– Juice of one onion– 1-2 tablespoons of Moringa Oil (oil of choice)into a thin consistency paste. Add some water if needed. Apply it all over your scalp and hair. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes, rinse well and shampoo. Do a black tea hair rinse.
DIY Moringa & Mustard Hair Oil: To make this, all you have to do is, mix 1 tablespoon of Mustard Oil i.e. Sarson Ka Tel from your kitchen with 3 tablespoons of Moringa Oil, warm this concoction and apply. Mustard oil consists of alpha fatty acids that are known to keep hair hydrated and lively; moreover, these fatty acids act as an excellent conditioner for our hair.
- DIY Chai & Moringa Hair Mask: Chai as a hair mask? YES! I used a blend of black tea, ginger and cinnamon brewed in water as a hair mask with Moringa Powder & Oil for 2-3 times. Why?
Black Tea: adds shine and lustre to hairGinger: great for dandruff and scalp itchinessCinnamom: promotes healthy hair growth
To make this hair mask, brew a teaspoon of black tea, 1/4th teaspoon Ginger & some cinnamon in half cup of water, add one & a half tablespoon of Moringa Powder and 1 tablespoon of Moringa Oil. Mix it well, apply all over your scalp and hair. Shampoo as usual and say hello to soft, nourished and shiny hair.