Who would have thought that hibiscus powder would have so many hidden beauty benefits and uses! This tropical plant is one of our favourite ingredients to use for keeping both our skin and hair healthy. Hibiscus sabdariffa is a variety of hibiscus which has a deep red color with incredible benefits.
Hibiscus Powder Benefits for Skin
- The phenolic compounds in hibiscus help scavenge free radicals in your skin to reduce oxidative stress caused by environmental damage.
- Hibiscus has a sort of magical reputation in skin care because it is a natural source of alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs). This makes hibiscus naturally exfoliate your skin and reduce hyperpigmentation and comedones. This also helps to reduce blackheads & improve the texture of the skin.
- The antioxidants present in hibiscus powder also help reduce inflammation on your skin caused by acne or other skin problems.
Hibiscus Powder Benefits for Hair
- Hibiscus is rich in amino acids and various bioactive compounds that help nourish your hair follicles to stimulate hair growth.
- These nutrients also help prevent premature hair greying and can be used as a natural dye with henna powder.
- Hibiscus powder acts as a mild scalp scrub and since it has antimicrobial properties, it can help reduce dandruff and itchiness from your scalp.
What is Unique About Our Hibiscus Powder?
At Blend It Raw Apothecary, we make hibiscus powder by grinding shade-dried Hibiscus Sabdariffa (Roselle) petals into a fine powder. This particular species is rich in anthocyanins which also imparts the beautiful red hue to it.
How to Use Hibiscus Powder for Your Skin and Hair Care
You can easily incorporate hibiscus powder in all your face masks, cleansers, scrubs or hair pack recipes.
Please note: Hibiscus Roselle can be a strong ingredient for sensitive skin people. Use it in moderation. Always do a patch test first. It is normal for skin to turn red after hibiscus face mask. Do not use it daily as it exfoliates skin. Use twice a week.
Here are 3 easy DIY recipes with hibiscus powder to inspire you.
- DIY Exfoliating Hibiscus Face Mask
Mix ½ tbsp each of hibiscus powder, oats and raw honey along with some water. Let it sit on your face for 5-10 minutes and then gently massage it in circular motions with wet hands. Do not massage if you have active acne. Rinse and pat dry. Use twice a week.
- DIY Hibiscus Scalp & Hair Pack
Mix 1 tbsp hibiscus powder & 1 tbsp Amla Powder in warm water. Add 2-3 tbspns of Kalonji Oil to it and some more water to make a thin paste. Apply it all over your scalp and hair. Leave it on 30 minutes and then shampoo.
- DIY Tan Removal Bath Powder
Mix equal parts of hibiscus powder, kaolin clay and Gram Flour and activate with water or any brewed tea. Massage it on damp body skin instead of soap during shower thrice a week. Rinse and moisturize.
Our HIBISCUS POWDER is a multipurpose product. You can use it for your face packs, hair packs, bath powders and body scrubs.